Using SNMP as an alternative to NRPE

Alexander Harvey alexh19740110 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 12:15:46 CEST 2006

I'm not sure I can shed much light onto the subject, but I can say that we
were going to use a product called 'SolarWinds' that called upon the
net-snmp package and we found that the documentation for that project was
quite hopeless and we gave up in despair. This is how we came to be pushing
for Nagios as a Unix server monitoring solution. I'd have to say that now
I've got SSH up and running the question that's puzzling me is why not just
always use ssh? Here is a paper you might find interesting:
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sans.org%2Freading_room%2Fpapers%2Fdownload.php%3Fid%3D332%26c%3D80c9dec08d4b581d738caceb89082798%26portal%3D4792e83567dbe8752b5c56325ead20d4&ei=N2G7RMPlHqKQpwKqrdHOBA&sig2=Vqu6xtjB84fCTZ9atR68Zg

Alex