Suppressing notifications for a host based on another host for on-demand host checks

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Sun Jul 16 04:42:19 CEST 2006

In message <1153003129.3044.62.camel at localhost>,
"John A. Sullivan III" writes:

>On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 15:32 -0400, John P. Rouillard wrote:
>> When I (and others) take a.example.com down I disable notifications
>> for the host and it's services. However I often forget to do the same
>> for it's other instance a.pub.example.com (in reality we have 4 or 5
>> names for some hosts corresponding to different IP addresses).
>>
>> I was hoping that host dependencies would help in this case by
>> simply making a.pub.example.com depend on a.example.com. Then if
>> a.example.com was down the notification for a.pub.example.com wouldn't
>> go out and neither would the service errors on a.pub.example.com
>> (because the host was down).
>>
>> However it doesn't work that way according to the manual. Only
>> scheduled host checks (not the on-demand checks caused by the loss of
>> services on a.pub.example.com) are affected by the host
>> dependencies.
>
>I am very new to Nagios so please do not take this as expert advise.
>How about using a service dependency instead.  Make the other services
>dependent on whatever service is used to check the alive status of the
>host.  There are some tips in the manual of making the process of
>creating all those service dependencies easier using regular expression,
>service groups and host groups.

That is a valid answer if it was the service checks that were
notifying.  In fact the service checks for a.pub.example.com do depend
on the ping check of a.example.com but that doesn't suppress the host
notifcation for a.pub.example.com even though the ping check and host
check commands call the same program.

The problem is that the host down notification and not a service check
notification is sent. In fact the service check notifications are
never sent because by default the service checks notifications are
suppressed if the host is down, which is it. I just need to not get
the host down notification for a.pub.example.com.

Thanks for the response though.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard