Reporting Transactions

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jul 14 00:55:10 CEST 2006

> Does anyone have any recommendations for using Nagios to
> consume or plug in something that can test end user
> experience and report transaction steps to Nagios? I would
> need this to test drilling down into web sites and Win32 apps.
> Kinda like a transaction testing solution like Rational Robot.

Short answer - yes.  Webinject.  It's a free tool with Nagios *and* MRTG
support, and we use it here for several sites.  It's a bit awkward to
configure but it supports cookies and session IDs.

We also wrote one on-site that worked slightly differently, but ended up
using webinject instead.

If you have lots of these->$ then you can also get some commercial tools
like SiteScope that can send alerts to Nagios via NSCA (can call an
external script that calls send_nsca).  SiteScope is easier to
configure, but costs a lot and only runs under Windows.

Steve