Command File error

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Jul 12 18:11:34 CEST 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Tom Brown wrote:

>> Yes, the nagios.cmd file is automatically created when I start
>> nagios. The file does have read and write permissions for the
>> nagcmd  group, and I have added the webserver to said group.
>
> have you restarted the webserver? Also note the // in the path

Restarted the webserver several times. the // in the path came with
the default config files, but I went ahead and changed it anyway.
Didn't make any difference. Actually, having a double slash in a file
path doesn't seem to make a difference anywhere- I have accidentally
typed paths like that more than once, with no effect :)

On Jul 11, 2006 at 8:39 PM, Marc Powell wrote:

> And restarted the web server presumably. That leaves 2 likely
> possibilities:
> 	- one or more of the directories above rw/ are not accessible by
> your web server user or
> 	- you have SELinux enabled and have not allowed http permissions
> by policy. You can use 'audit2allow -l -i /var/log/messages' to see if
> that's the case.
>
> I don't use SELinux so I can't provide you with a specific policy.

All directories in the path have read and execute permissions set for
everybody. Most don't have write permissions, but I wouldn't think
that would be an issue. Issuing the command you give returns the
following result:

allow httpd_sys_script_t usr_t:fifo_file getattr;
allow httpd_sys_script_t usr_t:file write;
allow unlabeled_t netif_eth0_t:netif rawip_recv;

I don't know anything about SELinux though, so I have no clue if this
is good, bad, or indifferent. Any thoughts?

I also tried changing the permissions on the command file and
enclosing folder so that anyone could read and write to them, just to
see if that would fix the issue, but no change. So apparently it
isn't a permissions issue, at least not directly with the file and
enclosed folder.

I just had a thought - in order to get the cgi's to work, I had to
put them in the root level /var/www/cgi-bin folder, rather than the /
usr/local/nagios/sbin folder. I modified the directory entry for this
directory in the apache config file to match what the documentation
said I needed for the sbin directory, but might this have something
to do with the issue? Perhaps something somewhere else in the configs
that specifically gives the cgis in the sbin directory permission to
write to the command file? Dunno.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Your help is much appreciated