Howto force a notification (before the scheduled renotify time) for a down host/critical service ?

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Wed Jul 12 01:40:03 CEST 2006

Dear Folks,

How can I have Nagios (2.4) send a notification ahead of the scheduled
time for next notification ?

I would like to do this to send out notifications after a period of
no-notifications ends (we
have the view that people do not react well to even major crises between
about midnight and 4-5 am so
we don't send notifications during that period. However it would be nice
to send out all the
notifications for outages that occurred in the no-notification period at
5 am).

At the moment we send a summary of outstanding faults generated by
nagiostats (very useful,
but I think it would be better to actually notify about all the extant
problems above
a certain severity.

Since status.dat has all this information, it is not difficult to find
whats not up.

However, there does not appear to be an external command to do
notification.

The closest I could find
(http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandlist.php)
appears to be SET_NOTIFICATION_NUMBER.