Oracle plugin check_oracle

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue Jul 11 14:29:11 CEST 2006

On 11 Jul 2006, at 11:21, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> It's happened again, I changed a non-related service name and then
> restarted nagios and now again it doesn't find $ORACLE_HOME for the
> sids
> of the databases apparently. This is ridiculous since I can
>
> su - nagios
> echo $ORACLE_HOME
> /usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.2/client
>
> which gives me the path to the oracle client installation and I can
> also
>
> sqlplus "user/password at dbname" successfully and get a login.
>
> /usr/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --login dbname
> OK - dummy login connected
>
> Does anybody understand why this check has stopped working again
> when I
> haven't
> done anything to it, I have to get this working in a stable fashion, I
> can't have it doing this every time I restart nagios...

How do you restart Nagios? Or do you mean reload?

If the former, check that the startup scripts correctly source the
environment variables. If the latter, it could be a bug in Nagios,
though I'm not sure why.

Alternatively, check_oracle will parse /var/opt/oracle/oratab (and
other locations) for the ORACLE_HOME variable. Some installations of
Oracle use this to know what SIDs are installed on a server. You
could amend that instead.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243