Nagios-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 8

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Mon Jul 10 02:04:55 CEST 2006

Dear Folks,

For the benefit of the archives,

>Dear Folks,
>
>Is it possible to use the standard plugin distro check_ping to
>distinguish
>a reachability failure brought about by sluggish transport and
>one caused by a routing failure.

I think the best way to do this is with a plugin that returns either
OK or CRITICAL depending on whether the host is contactable (CRITICAL
also if the plugin times out).

This means that there is never any ambiguity between a congested
unresponsive
link and a host on an unreachable network.

One way of doing this is with an SNMP ping (eg check sysUpTime) to
a router on the subnet of interest.

(The actual application is determining if user subnets are reachable
when there is a routing protocol on each of the leaf [user subnet]
routers tunnelled through an MPLS transport.

All sorts of wierd stuff can happen.
We use a routing protocol even on the single exit leaf nodes
because we cannot trust the provider [eg the only routing protocol they
provide is RIP ...]).

Yours sincerely.