===Network Connectivity Issues

Joe McCaughan joemacbusiness at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 22:53:41 CEST 2006

Hi Folks,

 I am having trouble with my Nagios server talking to
 the client through NRPE.  The error is ...

 user is root:
 [root at XXXXXXXXXXXXX libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H dev  -c check_disk1
 Connection refused by host

 user is nagios:
 [root at XXXXXXXXXXXXX libexec]# su nagios
 [nagios at XXXXXXXXXXXXX libexec]$ ./check_nrpe -H dev  -c check_disk1
 Connection refused by host

 Also, I *cannot telnet* into the client as root or nagios.
 It just bumps me out with "Connection refused"
 We are using ssh for logins.

 I believe I have the nrpe.cfg on the client configged OK
 and the nagios.cfg on the server too.

 The command definitions look OK in client's nrpe.cfg (standard install)
 The services.cfg on the server (for check_users) looks like this:
 #############################################################################

 define service{
 use                                     generic-service
 host_name                               Nagios.servername.com
 service_description                     USERS
 is_volatile                             0
 check_period                            24x7
 max_check_attempts                      3
 normal_check_interval                   5
 retry_check_interval                    1
 contact_groups                          slc-admins
 notification_interval                   120
 notifications_enabled                   1
 notification_period                     24x7
 notification_options                    w,c
 check_command                           check_nrpe!5666!check_users
 }

 1)
 What kind of network connectivity is required between the
 Nagios client and server?

 2)
 In the Nagios client nrpe.cfg file:
 Should the server_address= be the IP address of the Nagios server?
 Not sure if the process needs to bind to it's own IP or the Nagios host.

 3) Does the hosts.equiv need to be set up on the server/client?
 What about ~nagios/.rhosts?

 I have been searching over the docs to find answers to this stuff.

 Thanks, Joe McCaughan