Nagios and Cluster Setup

Bryan Loniewski brylon at jla.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 6 20:47:44 CEST 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:56:14 +0000
> From: Tarak Patel <tarak.patel at ec.gc.ca>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios and Cluster Setup
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi all,
>
> After playing with Nagios with simple single server setup I would like
> to get my hands dirty and configure Nagios for clusters. In my previous
> setup I was using Nagios to execute some home grown perl scripts to
> monitor a single remote system's various components. I simply configured
> nrpe on remote host and used another host to execute active checks. Now
> I would like to expand similar technic for a cluster but with a small
> modification. My current configuration is such that the interactive node
> of the cluster has a perl script that mimics DSH and launches a single
> check on each node. This single check bundles each individual component
> checks so that all components can be check in one shot. This method
> causes a problem when I would like to disable a single check on a single
> node. The other method was to launch a specific check on all nodes but
> this still does not solve the problem of disabling a single check on a
> single node.
>
> The question I have is what would be the best method for me where I
> would like to have a setup where I have one central server running
> nagios/web, multiple distributed servers and for each distributed server
> many other simple nodes that simply launch checks on regular basis and
> report back to distributed server which then reports back to central
> server. I also want to have the freedom to launch active check from
> central server onto nodes individually (layer below the distributed server).
>
> I was wondering if creating a setup where I would let each individual
> node perfom its checks (seperatly) and report to distributed server via
> NSCA and use NSCA on distributed server to report back to central
> server. Then how do I go about allowing central server to perform active
> check at the bottom level nodes.

Not sure where the confusion is? As long as the central server has
access to the subnets that your leaf nodes reside on, it can actively
monitor those nodes services.

If the central server cannot "reach" the leaf nodes, perhaps you may
want the slave servers actively monitoring the leaf nodes, and
forwarding those results as well up to the central server.