Is there a way to include the result ofcheck_nagiosin the subject line of an e-mail?

Hatten, Ken khatten at ti.com
Wed Jul 5 22:38:48 CEST 2006

Marc -

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but...  I often exec a call
to mailx with an embedded exec in the subject space with a command
string like this (note the backtick (grave) characters ` around the
commands):

cat <some file> | mailx -s "`uname -n` at `date +%H%M%S`"  <email alias>

and I get an email with the subject: "Hostname at 153211" (for example)
.

I tried this one:

	echo | mailx -s "`cat <some file>`" emailalias

and the first line of the file was the subject, the rest of the file
made up the body.  So, if you command delivered more than 1 line, only
the first would be in the subject; the rest in the body.

Regards,

Ken Hatten
CM Ops Admin