Issues with Nagios 2.4?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon Jul 3 19:20:32 CEST 2006

Nagios seems to have been very unstable the past couple of weeks. The
only change I've made is upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4.  It could just be
that I have
some bad configuration options, but I'm not sure. I just had a server
go down for an hour, and Nagios never caught it.  In general, since
upgrading to 2.0
Nagios seems very slow on catching broken services/hosts, but usually
checks them (not always). I look at my status overview right now, and
Nagios
says Last Check for almost every service is two days old.  Any ideas
on what I'm doing wrong?

Here's my Nagios log without comments or blank lines

log_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/nagios.log
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/contact-templates.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/host-templates.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/service-templates.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/time_periods.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/nagios-commands.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/nagios-hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/nagios-hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/nagios-service-templates.cfg
cfg_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/nagios-services.cfg
object_cache_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/objects.cache
resource_file=/nagios/services/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
temp_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/nagios.tmp
status_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/status.dat
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
nagios_user=nagios
nagios_group=nagios
enable_notifications=1
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=0
execute_host_checks=1
accept_passive_host_checks=0
enable_event_handlers=1
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/nagios/services/nagios/var/archives
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=60s
command_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
downtime_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/downtime.dat
comment_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/comments.dat
lock_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/nagios.lock
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/nagios/services/nagios/var/retention.dat
use_retained_scheduling_info=1
retention_update_interval=0
use_retained_program_state=1
use_syslog=1
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_initial_states=0
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_checks=0
sleep_time=0.25
service_inter_check_delay_method=n
max_service_check_spread=5
service_interleave_factor=s
max_concurrent_checks=300
service_reaper_frequency=40
host_inter_check_delay_method=n
max_host_check_spread=5
interval_length=60
auto_reschedule_checks=0
auto_rescheduling_interval=30
auto_rescheduling_window=30
use_agressive_host_checking=0
enable_flap_detection=0
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0
soft_state_dependencies=0
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5
obsess_over_services=0
process_performance_data=0
check_for_orphaned_services=0
check_service_freshness=0
freshness_check_interval=60
check_host_freshness=0
host_freshness_check_interval=60
date_format=us
illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()'=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
use_regexp_matching=0
use_true_regexp_matching=0
admin_email=support at nagios.com