Pinging every host at a specific interval?

Ryan Whalen lists.rwhalen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:38:56 CET 2006

Here is an example of a Host.  I have ~40-50 of these one after another in
the minimal.cfg file.

define host{
        use                     nn-ping            ; Name of host template
to use
        host_name               Ryan Whalen
        alias                   Ryan Whalen
        address                 192.168.1.15
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups  admins
        }

Here is the service template:

define service{
        name                            nn-service ; The 'name' of this
service template
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are
enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead t
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE
        }

Here is the actual service:

define service{
        use                             nn-service         ; Name of service
template to use
        host_name                       Ryan Whalen,(other hosts go here)
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }