Snmpstatus/aggregate bandwidth

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Jan 24 20:50:44 CET 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Welch, John wrote:

> So after looking around nagiosexchange and a quick search of the list
> archives with no success...
>
> Is there a plugin that either uses the total traffic for a device, ala
> snmpstatus, or can present the aggregate traffic in and out for all ports on
> a device as two numbers? (total in, total out)
>
> MRTG is great for per-port stuff, but I want to use Nagios to measure total
> traffic used by a host.

You are not using the right tool. If you want performance graphs like that
you need to poll the proper interfaces and store them with your own
rrdtool script and generate the graphs.

Nagios is not the tool for concatenating these things. Only use a hammer
when you need one. If you need a plier it is not good to grasp the nearest
hammer and expect it to be a plier. (you may interchange plier and hammer
if you like in this sample as long as you do it consistently ;-)

Hugo.