single notification contact

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon Jan 23 21:32:00 CET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Terry wrote:

> My problem is that I only want 1 notification.  I would need to
> maintain a database of some sorts to keep track of notifications
> somehow. <logic>If a notification has been sent, dont send, otherwise,
> send.</logic>.
>
> For example:
>
> -disk on a server goes to warning
> send notify to ticket system
> -disk goes to critical
> supress message to ticket system
> -disk goes to warning
> suppress message to ticket system
> -disk goes to OK
> suppress message to ticket system
> -cpu goes to critical
> send notify to ticket system
> etc

Sounds like a bad way to do this. Warning message need some attention.
Critical or Down hosts should be your real beef.

I would do it like this:

if (host == down) {
	if ticket(host) {
		Do nothing, there is an outstanding ticket
	} else {
		Create new ticket for host
	}
} elseif (host == up) {
	if ticet(host) {
		Lower priority on ticket or close it (whatever)
	} else {
		?What an up event whithout a ticket?
	}
} else {
	We don't care
}

Of course you could extend this too start a ticket on warnings and raise
the priority if they become critical.

Propably needs a database to work properly.

Just add special handling for the incoming email messages of your
ticketing system to do this.

Hugo.

PS: Did anyone bother to notice the absurd amount of CCs and duplicate
footers in this thread? How about minimizing on those?