Nagios 2.0rc2 on FC4 x86_64

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Thu Jan 19 21:58:41 CET 2006

It turns out that struct timeval is different 8-bytes verses 16-bytes. What if the value of MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH was calculated at compile time, based on the overall size of the service_message structure?  Of course, I think this would mean that all of your Nagios machines have to be of the same architecture?

I've recompiled with the two changes shown below... So far so good.

*** objects.h.orig      2006-01-19 15:46:13.000000000 -0500
--- objects.h   2006-01-19 15:46:25.000000000 -0500
***************
*** 45,51 ****

  #define MAX_HOSTNAME_LENGTH                           64      /* max. host name length */
  #define MAX_SERVICEDESC_LENGTH                        64      /* max. service description length */
- #define MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH                       348     /* max. length of plugin output */

  #define MAX_STATE_HISTORY_ENTRIES             21      /* max number of old states to keep track of for flap detection */

--- 45,50 ----

*** nagios.h.orig       2006-01-19 15:47:50.000000000 -0500
--- nagios.h    2006-01-19 15:47:26.000000000 -0500
*** 389,394 ****
--- 389,396 ----
          }notification;

+ #define MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH 512-MAX_HOSTNAME_LENGTH-MAX_SERVICEDESC_LENGTH-5*sizeof(int)-2*sizeof(struct timeval) /* max. length of plugin output */
+
  /* SERVICE_MESSAGE structure */
  typedef struct service_message_struct{
        char host_name[MAX_HOSTNAME_LENGTH];            /* host name */