retention issue

Lori Adams ladams at cloudmark.com
Wed Jan 18 20:56:51 CET 2006

I'm using nagios-2.04b.

Here's what happened.  We had nagios running using nagios-1.2.  We
wanted to try out nagios-2.04b.  I set up an entire new nagios instance
on the same machine.  We called this nagios instance, nagios-2.  I've
moved nagios-2 to be in the same location as nagios(-1), the webserver
etc.  Everything is running, I can access the cgis, etc.  All values
have been updated to reflect the move.

But somewhere along the line retention got extremely screwy.  Here were
my values:

retain_state_information=1

state_retention_file=<keeping path
private>/nagios-2.04/var/retention.dat

retention_update_interval=60

use_retained_program_state=1

I had moved nagios-2 to be nagios on 1/11.  Anytime I restart
(/etc/init.d/nagios restart), the state values return to the values on
the 11, with last check times set to 1/11.

I have updated the retention_update_interval to 2.  The retention.dat
file is not updating while nagios is running.  It is also not updated
when nagios shuts down, seen by both the code in the init script and the
modification time of the retention file, even though the comments say it
will:

So I decided to then remove the retention.dat file.  This worked great
as the status no longer says 1/11 for the last check.  Except that no
data is being retained.  So anytime I do a restart, all statuses go back
to pending.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

-Lori