*** Detected as Spam *** Re: Disabling GIF ima ge for passive checks

Andrew Laden Andrew.Laden at tudor.com
Tue Jan 17 22:44:51 CET 2006

> by the host

> > > checks from
> > >
> > > Not the case.  Freshness checks are run no matter what the
> > > check_period and active_checks_enabled settings.  We use the
> > > 'check_period none' method here, and freshness checks
> (resetting to
> > > unknown is nothing in the last 10 mins) are definitely running.
> > > (Nagios 1.2)
> > >

> > That changed in 2.0 and up. (as per a recent mail thread)
>
> Well this method solves my GIF issue, but now I am confused
> about the freshness checks. The online docs seem to indicate
> that I want freshness checks on the central server to ensure
> my distrubuted servers haven't failed or for some other
> reason are not passively reporting. What am I missing here?
> I'm running 2.0b5. Thanks.

In order for freshness checks to work in 2.0 and up, you have to set as
follows.
        check_period                 24x7
        passive_checks_enabled       1
        active_checks_enabled        0     ; these are all passive checks
        check_freshness              1
        check_command                check-freshness-stale!"Service report
not received within time period"
        freshness_threshold          1800     ; Set your own number here

(My "check-freshness-stale" returns 2, and send the arg as the string.)

This is a change in 2.0 and up. In 1.x, A freshness check would be run even
of the service was outside the check period. In 2.x the freshness check will
only be run if the service is in its check period.

This means you will get the annoying gif in the status.cgi. Such services
being critical will also not show up in the tac cgi as an unhanded problem,
but rather as a disabled problem. For GUI users, this can be very
misleading. I hacked the tac.cgi to have them show up as unhandled problems.