Plugins parameter from script

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Tue Jan 17 14:36:55 CET 2006

Hello,

	I am trying to configure my nagios system (version 1.3) to monitor, via
SNMP, that my systems are running the processes they need to.

	I use the snmp_procname nagios command defined for snmp. It is defined
as:

define command{
    command_name    snmp_procname
    command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-C $ARG1$ -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1.5.$ARG2$ -w $ARG3$:$ARG4$ -c $ARG5$:
$ARG6$
    }

	The problem I've got is that I need to know the order in which I have
defined the proc entries in snmpd.conf at the servers.

	I think it could be better to define ARG2 not the number in the process
list, but the name of the process. For example, in one server I want to
monitor syslogd and slapd, so I put

proc    syslogd 0 0
proc    slapd 0 0

	in the snmpd.conf file at the server.

	If a get the snmp data from that server I get:

atelerix:/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public
myserver .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prIndex.1 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prIndex.2 = INTEGER: 2
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prNames.1 = STRING: syslogd
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prNames.2 = STRING: slapd
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMin.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMin.2 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMax.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMax.2 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prCount.1 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prCount.2 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrorFlag.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrorFlag.2 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrMessage.1 = STRING:
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrMessage.2 = STRING:
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFix.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFix.2 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFixCmd.1 = STRING:
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFixCmd.2 = STRING:

	so I prefer to define the service as:

define service {
    name                    syslogd
    hostgroup_name          syslogd_servers
    use                     servicio-generico
    service_description     Proceso syslogd
    check_command           snmp_procname!public!syslogd!1!!1!
}

	the check plugin could see that the index for syslogd is .1 and then
use .1 to get the .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1.5.1 value.

	If this posible? Or shall I have to rewrite the plugin to do it?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática