Using tcp load balancing proxy & NRPE for load distribution

Peter Krüpl peter at henet.dk
Mon Jan 16 11:33:06 CET 2006

Hello Group,

    As i have read a lot on this list and had some good use of it, i
figured maybe it would
    be about time to give something back to the list.

    I am in charge or running some nagios machines at work, as i make
heavy use of perl
    and have many services to watch, i came up with a little idea for an
easy distrubution of the
    monitoring load.

    I simply execute all service checks via nrpe, nrpe contacts a small
tcp loadbalancing proxy called balance.
    Balance then simply distributes the nrpe connections i a round robin
manner between several hosts,
    that run the actual servicecheck plugin vire the nrpe server.

    The only distributed configuration i need is the actual nrpe
configuration on the checkhosts, the
    check_nrpe2 plugin on the main nagios server is very lightweight and
i presently monitor about 1200
    services (300 sec poll cycle), and even send back performance data
via nrpe.

    Should one of the check execution hosts fail, no problem balance
takes care of it and redirects the
    nrpe connection to a hosts that is alive, is all check hosts fail,
as a last resort one could also run nrpe
    on the actual nagios host as a last resort.

    I hope this can be of use for some of you......

    -Peter Krüpl