Question about Linux Distros

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Jan 13 19:49:46 CET 2006

Given the choice of running RHEL vs Fedora in an enterprise environment, I
would choose RHEL, no contest.  Any single release of Fedora won't be
supported/maintained 12 months from now, whereas RHEL will recieve
back-ported security updates for 5 years forward.  For a recomended platform
for an enterprise monitoring system, security, maintenance, and stability
are main selling points.  Fedora is a great, free, cutting edge, community
supported distro.  With Fedora, I'd be scared of it changing under my feet
by the time I installed it.  Are you backporting/self-compiling the latest
security fixes, kernel patches, etc?  Or is it worth $150 of your time to
have engineers at RedHat do that for you for an entire year.

I use Fedora on some of my desktop machines, but for servers I perfer RHEL
for those reasons.