Vedr.: RE: Use SNMP and check_ping to check the server downtime

Thomas Jens Lauritsen tjl at topdanmark.dk
Thu Jan 12 09:23:21 CET 2006

Good Morning,

If you have installed the Net-SMNP package - I think it's called that. Then
you can run a snmpwalk command.

This command should work for a w2k box.

snmpwalk -v 1 your-server-ip -c public .1.3.6.1.4.1

I use this script below to give me a waring If a box has been rebooted
recently. Sometime W2K boxes are set to do that....
then I can investigate or try to find the problem ;-)

In the script below you can se a line like this:
usr/bin/snmpget $SERVER $SNMPCOMUNITY .system.sysUpTime.0

It simply check the uptime of a w2k box....

------------------------ script start - and don't use this line in your
script -----------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# check_booted.sh via SNMP
#
# Autor         : Thomas Jens Lauritsen <tjl at topdanmark.dk>
# Date          : 2004-06-04 (yyyy-mm-dd)
# Changed       : 2005-11-12 - New description
# Version       : 1.1
# Purpose       : Check if a server has been booted recently
# Description   : Script that checks if a box just has been booted via
SNMP.
# Req.          : The script uses the bc - calulator (Installed on most
*nix's)
# Advice        : Run the script for every 10 min - to keep the load down
on the cpu.
# Nagios        : In the services.cfg. Exampel:
check_booted.sh!public!100!1000!
# Info          : You have to change Oid for your system - see below (num1
and num2).
#
#                                                     crit  warn
# ./check_booted.sh <ip-address> <public> <100> <1000>
#
# Verify that there is an input - if not then show syntax
# -------------------------------------------------------
#
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
echo "usage  : check_booted.sh <hostname> <snmp-community> <crit-num1>
<warn-num2>"
echo "example: check_booted.sh 192.168.1.1 public 2 2 100 1000"
echo
exit
fi
#

# Variables
# ---------
PROGPATH=`echo $0 | /bin/sed -e 's,[\\/][^\\/][^\\/]*$,,'`
. $PROGPATH/utils.sh
SERVER=$1                    # Example: 10.0.0.3
SNMPCOMUNITY=$2              # Example: public
NUM1=$3                      # Example: "10" = 10 minutes CRITICAL
NUM2=$4                      # Example: "120"= 120 minutes WARNING

# GET UpTime VALUE in Miliseconds
MILISEC=`/usr/bin/snmpget $SERVER $SNMPCOMUNITY .system.sysUpTime.0 | awk
'{ print $4  }'|bc`
#echo $MILISEC

RESULT=`echo $MILISEC/100/60 | bc`
#echo $RESULT in minutes

# TELL NAGIOS WHAT WE COLLECTED - AND GIVE IT A STATE
if [ "$RESULT" -le "$NUM1" ] ; then
      $ECHO "BOOTED $RESULT Minutes ago..\n"
      exitstatus=$STATE_CRITICAL

elif [ "$RESULT" -le "$NUM2" ] ; then
      $ECHO "BOOTED $RESULT Minutes ago..\n"
      exitstatus=$STATE_WARNING

elif [ "$RESULT" -ge "$NUM2" ] ; then
     $ECHO "UPTIME - OK $RESULT Minutes\n"
      exitstatus=$STATE_OK

else
      $ECHO "UPTIME - UNKNOWN $RESULT Minutes\n"
      exitstatus=$STATE_UNKNOWN
fi

------------------------ script stop - and don't use this line in your
script -----------------------

|---------+---------------------------------------->
|         |           <Lui.external at infineon.com>  |
|         |           Sendt af:                    |
|         |           nagios-users-admin at lists.sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                  |
|         |                                        |
|         |                                        |
|         |           12-01-2006 08:15             |
|         |                                        |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
  |       Til:      <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Vedr.:    RE: [Nagios-users] Use SNMP and check_ping to check the server downtime                      |

I had wrote a perl script to execute "check_ping" and manipulate the
result.
Now, I would like to add in the SNMP uptime checking to get a more
accurate downtime data.
Just want to know what are the mechanism can be used to achieve the SNMP
uptime checking?