Downtime. What works for you?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 11 21:25:12 CET 2006

> What method works best for recurring downtime? What method
> does everyone here use?

In some cases, it is appropriate to define a special timeperiod in Nagios,
and use that for check_time and notification_time.  However, in most cases,
this would mean hundreds of smalltimeperiod definitions.

We have a regular cron job (runs every morning at 7am to schedule downtime
for the next 24hours) and a CGI for editing the list of schedules.  This is
available on nagiosexchange.org - I think its the only one that has a CGI
config frontend.  You'll need to use your web server authentication to lock
the CGI down to just admins, though, as it's not aware of individual Nagios
user rights.

Steve