Sending SNMP traps from Nagios

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Jan 6 01:18:27 CET 2006

Your snmptrap command would look something like this:

/usr/bin/snmptrap -v 2c -c public snmpmanager '' \
.1.3.6.1.4.1.20006.1.5 \
.1.3.6.1.4.1.20006.1.1.1.2 s $HOSTNAME$ \
.1.3.6.1.4.1.20006.1.2.1.1 i $HOSTSTATEID$ \
[OID] [TYPE] [VALUE]...

If you had a server "MyServer" go down, and notifications via snmptrap
configured as above, your trap manager would recieve the following:

TrapOID: HostEvent
    Hostname = "MyServer"
    HostStateID = 1

The syntax and options for snmptrap can be found the the net-snmp docs.
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/
OIDs and descriptions can be found in the Nagios MIB.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=29880&package_id=15331
5