Notification problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 5 17:44:59 CET 2006

Jan  4 14:30:32 nagios nagios: HOST ALERT: nebula;DOWN;SOFT;1;/bin/ping
-n -U -c 1 172.22.3.156
Jan  4 14:30:35 nagios nagios: HOST ALERT: nebula;DOWN;SOFT;2;/bin/ping
-n -U -c 1 172.22.3.156

The fact that nagios is logging the actual ping command used as opposed
to the output of the ping command is an indication to me that /bin/ping
wasn't executing properly for your host check _or_ check_ping couldn't
interpret the output of /bin/ping. I'll bet that if you down your host
again and then run your host check_command from the command line as the
nagios user you may see additional information. If you're not running
the latest plugins, upgrade and/or try using check_icmp instead. If you
search the archives for "/bin/ping -n" (use the quotes) you'll see
similar instances of notifications not being sent in this case.

> > As far as the notifications, the one thing that seems a possibility
> me is that you have retention
> > enabled, may have disabled notifications at some point and now the
> notifications_enabled setting is now
> > being preferenced from the retention file over the config file. If
> that sounds familiar, take a look at
> > the Retention Notes at
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html.
>
> Yeah, that's the direction I went, but with no luck.  I figured that
> with a new host and a new service, this would avoid any such problem.
> Is my thinking incorrect?

I would expect so but I don't claim to know all the intricacies of
template inheritance when it comes to retention data.

--
Marc