Installing Nagios RPM

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:33:34 CET 2006

On 1/4/06, Fernando Lima <flima at rio-de-janeiro.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
> To list.
>
> Is it a good idea to install Nagios through RPM??? It will configure the
> nagios user, nagios group (with nobody and nagios), etc?

Yes, the nagios rpm will create the nagios user, and set up the apache
environment for you. You have to add users to the htpasswd setup, or
change the auth to suit your environment.

I'm of the belief that you should install the software in a manner
consistent with your system. If you're a debian user, install the
nagios deb files, if you use an rpm based system, install nagios via
rpm. This keeps a clean, consistent system, and allows you to track
what package owns what files. It's not so much a nagios issue, as a
system administration issue. This way when you need to do a software
audit of the system to see what's on it, one command will work, rather
than doing rpm -qa.... AND digging through /usr/local/ or other source
build/install locations.

Just my $0.02US

--
Jim Perrin