2.0 upgrade, passive checks problem

Andrew Laden Andrew.Laden at tudor.com
Wed Jan 4 15:00:30 CET 2006

I had a similar problem with passive checks and freshness checking when I
upgraded to 2.0. I am guessing (though no one ever responded when I asked
the list before) That they changed the logic. Before a stale check would
trigger an active check in all cases regardless of the check period. Now it
appears that check_period overrides that.

ie. Whereas
check_period = none
active_check_enabled = 1

used to work, now you have to use

check_period = 24x7
active_checks_enabled = 0

Which is a little annoying, in that the gui now puts the "pasv" icon next to
all your passive checks, and the tac cgi wont consider a passive failed
check to be an unhandled problem by default. This is a bug in my opinion,
though no one seems to agree with me. (assuming silence indicates
disagreement.)

Anyway. below is the config i use..

define service{
            name                           audit-service-tmpl ; template for
Passive commands (like Replication Check Services
)
            is_volatile                    1                    ; notify
with every failure (with freshness checks)
            check_period                   24x7
            max_check_attempts             1
            normal_check_interval          1
            retry_check_interval           1
            retain_status_information      1
            retain_nonstatus_information   1                    ;
            passive_checks_enabled         1                    ; these are
all passive checks
            active_checks_enabled          0                    ; these are
all passive checks
            flap_detection_enabled         0                    ; don't want
flaps detected in these cases.
            notification_interval          31536000
            notification_period            24x7
            notification_options           w,u,c,r
            check_freshness                1
            register                       0
}

define service{
        service_description          rhost_check
        host_name                    audit
        contact_groups               unix-admins
        check_command                check-freshness-stale!"rhost audit did
not report on time"     ; dont forget to give script details
        freshness_threshold          90000     ; 25 hours  (seconds) make
this number be a couple of hours after next job should complete
        use                          audit-service-tmpl
}

  _____