Problems with RPM install

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 28 01:40:58 CET 2006

RPMs
> for Nagios and the Nagios-plugins along with the misc. required RPMs.
> Unfortunately, all the documentation is written toward a non rpm
install.

Not too surprising since RPM installs can vary quite a bit depending on
the packager.

> The RPM file added all the appropriate httpd.conf configurations, and
> setup up proper users, etc. It is viewable at:
>
> [link] <http://server.brookhurd.com/nagios/>
>
> userid: guest
> password: guest

Results in Internal Server error. I don't know what your OS is but this
could be SELinux restrictions if you haven't allowed the proper context
for the Nagios sbin directory.

> [root at server nagios]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration.
> [root at server nagios]#
>
> I just cannot get it to run and cannot see the issue with the Nagios
> config.

Run /path/to/nagios -v /path/to/nagios.cfg. Nagios will verify your
configuration files and report any errors.

> I even altered ownership info in the 'nagios.conf' to root:

What is the contents of this file? There isn't a nagios.conf that's part
of the standard distribution.

--
Marc