Problems with RPM install

Brook Hurd brookh at bitslv.com
Tue Feb 28 01:21:55 CET 2006

The RPM install of Nagios was fairly strait forward. I installed the
RPMs for Nagios and the Nagios-plugins along with the misc. required
RPMs. Unfortunately, all the documentation is written toward a non rpm
install.

The RPM file added all the appropriate httpd.conf configurations, and I
setup up proper users, etc. It is viewable at:

[link] <http://server.brookhurd.com/nagios/>

userid: guest
password: guest

[root at server nagios]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start
Starting network monitor: nagios
CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration.
[root at server nagios]#

I just cannot get it to run and cannot see the issue with the Nagios
config.

I even altered ownership info in the 'nagios.conf' to root:

# NAGIOS USER
# This determines the effective user that Nagios should run as.
# You can either supply a username or a UID.

#nagios_user=nagios
nagios_user=root

# NAGIOS GROUP
# This determines the effective group that Nagios should run as.
# You can either supply a group name or a GID.

#nagios_group=nagios
nagios_group=apache

Anybody have an idea of where I went wrong?

________________________________

Brook Hurd
Vice President
Binary IT Solutions, Inc.