Nagios Dependencies

Josh Kayse josh.kayse at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:53:06 CET 2006

I have some questions about dependencies.   The setup I have a question
about is very basic, it follows here:

define host {
     use                generic-host
     host_name     router
     alias              router
     address         10.10.10.1
}
define host {
     use                generic-host
     host_name     machine
     alias              a generic server
     address         10.10.10.2
     parents          router
}

What happens is the router will be marked as down (because we can't ping the
address), but the machine is marked as up (because the router is still
functioning and we can ping the machine).  We'd like for the machine to be
marked as down also, but it is not being marked that way.

I tried having a:

define hostdependency {
     host_name                            router
     dependend_host_name        machine
     notification_failure_criteria     d,u
}

but that doesn't work either.

Is it possible in nagios, if so, what am I missing?

Thanks

--
Joshua Kayse
Computer Engineering