nrpe + solaris problems

Tom Healy thealy at nortom.com
Thu Feb 23 21:08:21 CET 2006

I can't seem to get nrpe to work correctly, the web interface reports
connection refused, but if I run it via the command line it gets
results.  Example below:

On remote solaris 9 box:
# ./nrpe -n -c nrpe.cfg  -d

# ps -ef|grep nrp
   nagios  1125     1  0 11:51:51 ?        0:00 ./nrpe -n -c nrpe.cfg -d

# ./check_nrpe -n -H 127.0.0.1 -c check_users
USERS OK - 26 users currently logged in |users=26;75;100;0

On nagios server (solaris 9) as user nagios:
-------------------------------
# ./check_nrpe -n -H xxx.foobar.com -c check_users
USERS OK - 26 users currently logged in |users=26;75;100;0

On same nagios server, but the web interface:
check_users.process CRITICAL    02-23-2006 11:52:31      0d 0h 59m
1s   3/3     Connection refused by host

Config entry for this host:
---------------------------

define service{
         host_name               xxx.foobar.com
         service_description     check_users.process
         check_command           check_nrpe!check_users
         max_check_attempts    3
         normal_check_interval 5
         retry_check_interval  1
         check_period          24x7
         notification_interval 5
         notification_period   24x7
         notification_options  c,r
         contact_groups        healy
}

Check commands entry for the server:
-------------------------------------
# Check NRPE Daemon
define command{
         command_name    check_nrpe
         command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
         }

nrpe 2.4 compiled from source, both boxes solaris 9.  Running nagios
Nagios 2.0b4 (upgrading soon).  Is this a bug in the 2.0b4 branch or
am I just being dense & missing something obvious?

-Tom