Monitoring solaris server without installing any plugin

Luc I. Suryo luc at suryo.com
Thu Feb 23 18:55:49 CET 2006

> Hi i have a similar problem where no matter how i try and compile on
> either sol8 or sol9 (sparc) using the software from sunfreeware (gcc,
> openssl etc etc), i just cannot get NRPE ssl handshakes to work via
> inetd... I've tried everything, and triple-checked everything countless
> times, but always get the "Failed to complete ssl handshake" message..
>
> Can anyone give me any insight, or has seen this issue before? ...I
> would use snmp instead, but i'm pretty clueless on snmp and it's not set
> up in nagios (yet), and i have no clue what mibs or whatever i would
> need etc... Any help/pointers there are appreciated as well on the snmp
> stuff - i see there are countless ways to do snmp on nagios.org - what
> works best for most out there etc?

I have mine work just fine, sparc 8, 9 & 10. But I do use an older
version of nrpe

./check_nrpe_ssl  -h

NRPE Plugin for Nagios
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Version: 2.0
Last Modified: 09-08-2003
License: GPL with exemptions (-l for more info)
SSL/TLS Available: Anonymous DH Mode, OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher required

The thing is to generate your own cert. unless you want to use the one
that came with teh sources..

my inetd.conf (i have ssl nrpe and none ssl nrpe configured)
if you have tcp-wrapper remember to configure hosts.allow

# Nagios agent
nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  sys     /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/sbin/nrpe -i -c /usr/local/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg
snrpe   stream  tcp     nowait  sys     /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/sbin/nrpe_ssl -i -c /usr/local/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg

5711 = none ssl
5712 = ssl

./check_nrpe_ssl -H localhost -p 5711 -c check_root_disk
CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

now to the ssl port

 ./check_nrpe_ssl -H localhost -p 5712 -c check_root_disk
DISK OK [3945564 kB (65%) free on /]

as you can see it works...

I can sent you th ebinary if you want to but it does depends on the
correct openssl libraries!

hope this may help a bit :)

-ls