hostgroupescalations not working

Derek J. Balling deballing at vassar.edu
Tue Feb 21 23:07:00 CET 2006

I'm running the latest version of Nagios included with Debian sarge/
stable (it reports itself as 1.3-cvs.20050402-2.sarge.1).

I have defined, in /etc/nagios/escalations.cfg, a
hostgroupescalation, like so:

define hostgroupescalation{
         hostgroup_name                  all-linux
         first_notification              3
         last_notification               0
         contact_groups                  oncall,sysadmins-pgr
         notification_interval           5
}

... thinking that from escalation point 3 and up, the oncall person
and the sysadmins will get notified every five minutes.

Except that it never seems to get processed. The "default"
contact_groups, from the services declaration, all get their notices,
but the escalation-people never get theirs.

I created a service escalation (for the service I've been using to
test the escalation), and it worked just fine (it's now commented out
though as I try to get the hostgroupescalation to work):

#define serviceescalation{
#       host_name               smtp03
#       service_description     SMTP
#       first_notification      3
#       last_notification       0
#       contact_groups          oncall,sysadmins-pgr
#       notification_interval   5
#}

... so I know that the escalations.cfg is being processed, and it's
*willing* to escalate, just not to escalate for a hostgroup.

I confirmed that smtp03 *is* in the "all-linux" hostgroup
declaration, and it appears there in all the GUI locations, so it's
not that the hostgroup simply doesn't match the server in question.

What am I missing? Is this some stupid typo that I'm not noticing?
The members of the service's contact_groups field all get their
notices, but the people it's supposed to escalate to don't. What am I
missing?

Thanks much!

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling