nagios with tripwire

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 17 20:10:54 CET 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Dany Allard wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> Has anyone used Nagios to monitor tripwire events?
>
> If someone has done this and could point me in the right direction, that
> would be great.

Dany,

It's been a while since I used tripwire but I don't recall it generating
any events, per se.  If you have tripwire setup, and you'd like to
incorporate changes of summed files, you could certainly write a plugin to
do so and represent a change of some file, say /etc/passwd, as a CRITICAL
within Nagios.  You could probably also hook up Nagios and send it passive
service checks out of the cronjob running tripwire in verify mode.  Let
me know if this is what you had in mind.  It sounds to me like it could be
done but I'm unaware of any existing plugins in this space at the moment.

Thanks.