network traffic monitoring plugin or bandwidth pluin for nagios

Sumit Malhotra smalhotra at dataarmor.net
Thu Feb 16 12:27:40 CET 2006

# check_mrtgtraf  --help

check_mrtgtraf (nagios-plugins 1.4.1) 1.24

Copyright (c) 1999 Ethan Galstad <nagios at nagios.org>

Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Nagios Plugin Development Team

        <nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

This plugin will check the incoming/outgoing transfer rates of a router,

switch, etc recorded in an MRTG log.  If the newest log entry is older

than <expire_minutes>, a WARNING status is returned. If either the

incoming or outgoing rates exceed the <icl> or <ocl> thresholds (in

Bytes/sec), a CRITICAL status results.  If either of the rates exceed

the <iwl> or <owl> thresholds (in Bytes/sec), a WARNING status results.

Usage: check_mrtgtraf -F <log_file> -a <AVG | MAX> -v <variable> -w
<warning_pair>

                      -c <critical_pair> [-e expire_minutes] [-t timeout]
[-v]

 -h, --help

    Print detailed help screen

 -V, --version

    Print version information

 -F, --filename=STRING

   File to read log from

 -e, --expires=INTEGER

   Minutes after which log expires

 -a, --aggregation=(AVG|MAX)

   Test average or maximum

 -w, --warning

   Warning threshold pair "<incoming>,<outgoing>"

 -c, --critical

   Critical threshold pair "<incoming>,<outgoing>"

Notes:

- MRTG stands for Multi Router Traffic Grapher. It can be downloaded from

  http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

- While MRTG can monitor things other than traffic rates, this

  plugin probably won't work with much else without modification.

- The calculated i/o rates are a little off from what MRTG actually

  reports.  I'm not sure why this is right now, but will look into it

  for future enhancements of this plugin.

Send email to nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net if you have questions

regarding use of this software. To submit patches or suggest improvements,

send email to nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

  _____