Nagios Hang?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 15 17:20:50 CET 2006

Make sure you haven't run out of disk space. Verify your log_ settings
in nagios.cfg.

> 2)       Nagios appears to "hang" on the remote sensor. Once I receive
> notifications that network devices are down, I never see a recovery of
the
> network devices, even though they are recovered. The work around is to
> restart nagios with "service nagios restart". Sometimes, this takes
> multiple tries.

Could be related to multiple nagios processes as below. One daemon sees
the down and another sees the up. What have you verified so far? I'd
check disk space, use strace to see what the daemon is doing, turn up
logging as much as possible for both nagios and nsca and watch the logs.

> 3)       When I have a massive network outage, I receive the
appropriate
> alerts but I receive multiple "PROBLEM" notifications. I'm only using
> service checks (I'm only using check_ping currently) and the
> notification_interval set to "0", which according to the documentation
> should limit the amount of messages I'm receiving to "1", unless I'm
using
> the service escalations, which I am not at this time. I am not
receiving
> multiple notifications for "OK" messages, which is what I would
expect.

Without seeing any example host and service config information this
sounds very much like you might have multiple nagios daemons running at
the same time. Stop nagios, make sure they're _all_ stopped and restart
nagios.

--
Marc