Network Mapping Software

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Wed Feb 15 00:09:25 CET 2006

For
   "mapping == graphical"
Whatever the equivalent of Visio is on Linux (GPL of course).
   "mapping == device discovery"

Netdisco
netdi
opennms
cacti plugin (mac?)
intermapper

The first two items are OSS network management tools, for maintaining
and controlling device configs.  They have integrated discovery (SNMP,
CDP, FDP, etc).

The third is another device/service monitoring of a similar vein to Nagios.

There's a cacti plugin that is slowly coming to maturity that integrates
device discovery with polling into the interface.  Doesn't support
Foundry gear yet, so I haven't looked at it.

*intermapper - A $commercial$ tool that tries to integrate
auto-discovery with monitoring, and a "pertifying" map drawing tool.
Works well for scanning networks via SNMP and outputting the results to
a file, IMO.

/eli