Distributed notifications

Brady Maxwell brady.maxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 03:57:37 CET 2006

I have three distributed servers that are using send_nsca to a central
server. the central server is receiving the check results or at least it
appears to be. I have except passive host and service checks enabled on
the central server. However none of the cgis update the list all
services and hosts as pending.
In netstat I can see the connections from the distributed servers on
both the central and distributed servers.

I have definded all hosts, check commands and service checks in the
central servers config files.
In the past I have had only post checks report in the cgis but now hosts
just show pending along with all service checks.

Also I have execute service checks disabled on the central server. I am
pretty certain that they should be disabled on the central server but I
enabled them for a bit and all service checks went critical so I turned
it back off.

In nsca.dump I see lots of host checks from only one of the distributed
servers. nagios.cmd does not appear to get data  written to it.

I run nsca and nagios as user nagios. I am wondering if there maybe a
ownership or permissions issue keeping either the nsca deamon or nagios
from writing to or reading from the nagios.cmd file. I made both the
nagios.cmd and nsca.dump rw by ug and o so I would this that would have
solved any potential read write permissions problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Brady