Notifications not coming through

JoAnne.Schmitz at baltsun.com JoAnne.Schmitz at baltsun.com
Wed Feb 8 03:13:15 CET 2006

Lee Fitz writes:

"I had incorrectly edited the 'command_line' in the 'define command'
 for the email notification. The consequences of which are identical
 to your result. My guess is that if you look CLOSELY at the
'command_line'
you will find something wrong - in my case I had a  bare $ in
 the line."

It turns out that this was not the problem -- misccommands.cfg had not
changed since June.  I did try changing the command to remove all
variables, which didn't result in an email either.

Thanks for the suggestion, though; it makes sense.

The real problem was, somehow the /TMP directory permissions got hosed.
Sendmail apparently uses that directory to compose the mail before sending
it.

Therefore, the notifications got logged in Nagios, because the command
line got launched.  But the message did not get sent, and nothing would
appear in the mail log, because the command line failed.

We knew there was more going on than Nagios failure, because when we tried
rebooting the system, X11 wouldn't start. Fortunately I had a Linux mage
helping me and we eventually tracked it down.

-JoAnne

--

JoAnne Schmitz
Publishing Systems Supervisor