Service definition with * and host-templates

Kai Reese foranor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 10:19:03 CET 2006

Hey list.

I'm having a slight problem with understanding templates, it seems.

I use a service definition:
## PING
define service{
        host_name               *,!sv-proxy
        use                     PING
}

where PING is:
## PING Template
define service{
        host_name               PING
        name                    PING
        service_description     PING
        use                     generic
        check_command           check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        register                0
}

and generic is:
define service{
        host_name               GENERIC
        name                    generic
        service_description     generic
        is_volatile             0
        check_period            24x7
        max_check_attempts      3
        normal_check_interval   5
        retry_check_interval    1
        contact_groups          admin
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     workhours
        notification_options    c,r
        register                0
}

And have host definitions using templates as well.

## generic template
define host{
        host_name               generic
        alias                   GenericTemplate
        contact_groups          admin
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      5
        notification_options    d,u,r
        notification_interval   24x7
        name                    generic
        register                0
}

## router template
define host{
        use             generic
        host_name       router
        alias           Template: Router
        name            router
        register        0
}

And now I keep getting mail notifications telling me:
***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: PING
Host: Template: Router
Address: <IP>
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Mon Feb 6 09:44:32 CET 2006

Additional Info:

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

I wonder, if the name is just wrong in the notification email, because
the ip is one of the routers I use, or if I really receive a
notification about a >register 0< template.

Anyone ?
Thanks, Kai