check_swap command runs ok as root user, but as nagios user it gives incorrect info

Rob Madole rmadole at jamspiritsites.com
Thu Feb 2 21:01:10 CET 2006

Sharing this with the list for posterity's sake...

Version info:
FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-P2
Nagios 2.0.r2
Nagios-plugins 1.4.2
NRPE 2.3

The plugin in question, check_swap, was returning the following
information when ran through NRPE.

SWAP CRITICAL - 100% free (0 MB out of 0 MB) |swap=0MB;0;0;0;0

Running it from the local machine (as root) the plugin functioned
completely normally.

What I've narrowed it down to is that on this box the user nagios
doesn't have permission to view information about the swap space on
the machine (specifically the /dev/mem and /dev/kmem device files).
I adjusted the permission on these files, and all is working as it
should now.

I have a feeling that some of the other plugins that use device files
would suffer the same fate.  Perhaps a permissions check on the
device files should be checked in the configure script for nagios
plugins since the plugins themselves don't do any error-handling for
this condition?  (Yeah I know...you should be able to assume the
perms on the system are correct but still)

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

Rob Madole
Programming
JAMSpiritSites.com <http://jamspiritsites.com/>
The Original Cheerleading Website Designers™
ofc: (877) 239-9308
This Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,
18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. The information
contained in this Email is intended only for use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by telephone (Toll Free - 877-239-9308), and destroy the
original message. Thank You.