ANNOUNCE: Nagios Looking Glass 1.0.0#PRE is here!

Thu Dec 28 19:58:38 CET 2006

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your description below but I'm still struggling to come to
terms with how NLG can be used to attack another site.
Firstly, my understanding of an XSS attack is of the following:

- Client requests a page (eg. www.yahoo.com)
- Hacker strips the response packets off the wire and replaces them with
packets that have come from (eg. www.google.co.uk)
- Client receives www.google.co.uk as a result of hacker's actions

Sure, this is a problem in sites with login/sensitive details stored in
cookies etc, which is over any HTTP connection.

If this understanding is correct, is it Google's problem that a hacker
is sending it's website in place of a different site?  It's a public
site after all that anyone (including hackers) can access.
Now if the client receives bad data from NLG - the data is only "bad" in
the sense that the server list will be empty, or will be reset to the
default (filter/group 0.)  Dependent on the attack source, it may even
only be part of the template (as the full template is requested in 3
parts.)  How is this a security risk?

Also if the hacker strips the HTTP request from the client
(www.yahoo.co.uk) and instead sends it to my webserver, it'll return an
error code as it doesn't proxy - again where's the security risk?

Sorry if I'm way off, I'll happily work with anyone who wants to offer
their support to make NLG "more secure" - but I still maintain the only
additional check necessary is that "fid" and "gid" (GET variables) are
integers - if they're not, reset them both to 0 (or throw an error if
filter/group 0 don't exist.)  This will be implemented in 1.0.0.

In actual fact the poller already does this: (in "server/s3_poller.php",
line 63 - settype($FilterToApply, "integer") and also line 73.)
Therefore if the variable is non-integer, it will be forced to 0.  The
only one thing to do is check that the filter/group exists, and perform
the same check on the client-side.

Thanks,

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834