Service depedency problem

MiikaT mlist.nagios at inlan.inmics.fi
Thu Dec 28 18:37:43 CET 2006

Quoting Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>:

> Because you have 'u' (notify when unreachable) in your
> host_notification_options.

I suppose there is a slight misunderstanding here, as I am very happy with the
current host_notification situation (either parent or dependencies).

> I suggest not using dependencies at all, but instead using the "parents"
> directive and removing 'u' from your host_notification_options. I also
> suggest reading the documentation regarding parents,
> host_notification_options and notification logic.
>
> Dependencies can be a fine thing for services. It's almost always the
> wrong thing to use for hosts.

The real problem is WITH services, if a parent host ping, for example, is
critical, I get service alert for hosts that behind the parent host. But if
the parent host is down, no alerts are sent for hosts behind the parent (works
like a charm).

To rephrase the original issue, how should I change the dependencies.cfg, if I
really don't want to get any service alerts for dependedent services, if all
services rely on the ping status of a parent host PING service?

-Miika