Performance issues, too

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Sun Dec 24 11:35:33 CET 2006

I have also been having performance issues with Nagios 2.5 on
a Sun E220R with two 400MHz procs and 1GB ram.

Sys stats are at http://lanning.cc/kipper.html

The large dips in load and system CPU time are when I restart
Nagios.  (cron'd twice a week, but I have also been making
a lot of service updates lately, hence the almost once a day
restarts.)  For the restarts to fix the latency, I have
"use_retained_scheduling_info=0".

After about three days the Service Check latency will grow
to over 300 seconds.  It is usually steady at around 0-5
seconds, for a couple of days, then it will rise over the
course of a few hours to over the 300 second mark.

My biggest issue with this, is the fact the RRDTool does not
like the data points to be that far out of the expected time
intervals and will toss the data point.

I have noticed the Nagios seems to have a memory leak.  As,
I have watched over the last hour the process grow from 124M
to 126M.

I use ePN with caching.  Most of my checks are SNMP requests
via ePN scripts (http://lanning.cc/custom_plugins/), with
p1.pl modified with:

  use SNMP 5.0;
  SNMP::loadModules("ALL");

We have put into our budget to move Nagios to a Linux/Intel
server.  But, what bugs me is the high CPU time in kernel
space, because of Nagios.

$ nagios -s etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.5
Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 07-13-2006
License: GPL

Projected scheduling information for host and service
checks is listed below.  This information assumes that
you are going to start running Nagios with your current
config files.

HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
---------------------------
Total hosts:                     83
Total scheduled hosts:           0
Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average host check interval:     0.00 sec
Host inter-check delay:          0.00 sec
Max host check spread:           3 min
First scheduled check:           N/A
Last scheduled check:            N/A

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
-------------------------------
Total services:                     693
Total scheduled services:           693
Service inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average service check interval:     192.12 sec
Inter-check delay:                  0.26 sec
Interleave factor method:           SMART
Average services per host:          8.35
Service interleave factor:          9
Max service check spread:           3 min
First scheduled check:              Sun Dec 24 10:02:16 2006
Last scheduled check:               Sun Dec 24 10:05:15 2006

CHECK PROCESSING INFORMATION
Service check reaper interval:      5 sec
Max concurrent service checks:      Unlimited

PERFORMANCE SUGGESTIONS
I have no suggestions - things look okay.

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri