URGENT REPOST: CHECK_NRPE: Received 0bytesfromdaemon ErrorMessage

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Dec 19 16:30:23 CET 2006

Hi there --

I checked the inetd.conf file for HP-UX and it differs from Solaris in that
it does not require the name of the program after the user field. I did remove
nrpe from the file to see if that made a difference, and unfortunately it did
not.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Phil Costelloe
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:21 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] URGENT REPOST: CHECK_NRPE: Received 0bytesfromdaemon
ErrorMessage

> The remote client uses inetd (without tcp wrappers) and here is the
configuration in the inetd.conf file:

>    nrpe stream tcp nowait bin /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg -inetd

Solaris requires the name of the server program and then the arguments,
which include argument 0 (the name of the program). So that would be :

    nrpe stream tcp nowait bin /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd

Not sure if HP-UX inetd.conf works the same way.

> The remote client also has a startup script in the /sbin/init.d
directory called nrpe. Here is the text of the script:

>            /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -n -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg
-d

I'd say that you either want to run as a daemon or run under inetd, not
both.

Phil

Phil Costelloe
Technical Consultant

philc at foundation-it.com
http://www.foundation-it.com
Foundation IT
Foundation Court
Old Street
Oare
Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE
Switch: +44 (0) 1635 203700
Helpdesk: +44 (0) 800 0121099
DDI: +44 (0) 1635 203719
Fax: +44 (0) 8700 543537
Mobile: +44 (0) 7884 236299

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net. If you are not
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this e-mail. Please notify Foundation IT immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or
contain viruses. Foundation IT therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version.
::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any
issue.