URGENT REPOST: CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes fromdaemon ErrorMessage

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Dec 19 15:30:51 CET 2006

The NRPE issue that has been very problematic has generated another error. I was
briefly getting output back from the remote client, but now

I am getting the error message:

NRPE: Unable to read output.

Here is a brief listing of the configuration:

Nagios server: Nagios 2.6

NRPE client: 2.5.2 running on an HP-UX 11.11 system

Allowed hosts: 0.0.0.0

The remote client uses inetd (without tcp wrappers) and here is the
configuration in the inetd.conf file:

nrpe stream tcp nowait bin /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg -inetd

The remote client also has a startup script in the /sbin/init.d directory called
nrpe. Here is the text of the script:

            /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -n -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg -d

I checked the log file on the remote client, and there was no indication of any
connection problem. The messages and nagios.log files

on the server simply reported the following:

            UNKNOWN;notify-by-email;NRPE: Unable to read ouput.

I have confirmed there is no firewall activated on the system, and that nrpe
communication is allowed on the client.