Server/Router with more than 1 interface

Herman (ISTD) herman_ang at toyota.co.id
Tue Dec 19 14:31:46 CET 2006

Dear all,

I have some servers and routers that have more than 1 interface, and
each interface has IP Address. I would like define a host is alive if
all of its interface ip address are available via check_ping.

So I define as following, but if I shut down the interface with ip
10.254.8.2. Nagios still think the host as alive, since Nagios just
detect the IP 10.16.20.120 as the indicator of the host. Any workaround
to make Nagios aware of both IP Addresses/IP Address ? Any suggestion
will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               NAS-TMMIN-HO
        alias                   FTP Server
        address                 10.16.20.120,10.254.8.2
        parents                 HO_Core_SW
        max_check_attempts      2
        check_command           check-host-alive
        contact_groups          admins
        notification_interval   120
        notification_options    d,u,r
        notification_period     24x7