Questions about scheduling

Daniel Meyer eagle at cyberdelia.de
Tue Dec 19 13:18:36 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Just curious. How will this work if you have something like 5 hosts in
> line in a parent-child relation?
>
> The fastest way would be starting from nagios and work your way to the
> downed host as the average latency on a check on a live host is much
> faster then the timeout you get on downed hosts.

i think it works its way from the failing host up to the nagios server,
which would be "logical" from the point of view that nagios knows the
parents of the failed server. Dont think that nagios uses that information
to rebuild it into a child list...

That might be the solution to "why did nagios send me so many
notifications today":

consider those host relations:

nagios - router - router - switch - server1 to server n
(up)     (up)     (down)   (dummy)  (up...)

I had a failed leased line today. The switch in that scenario was up due
to a dummy check which always replies "ok", the router was down. I got a
host down notification for each of the servers.... Must be because nagios
started to check from the servers to the nagios host, and found the switch
to be up and runnnig.

Danny
--
Q: Gentoo is too hard to install      =        http://www.cyberdelia.de
    and I feel like whining.           =             eagle at cyberdelia.de
A: Please see /dev/null.              =
       (from the gentoo installer FAQ) =                             \o/