Service depedency problem

MiikaT mlist.nagios at inlan.inmics.fi
Tue Dec 19 07:43:56 CET 2006

Quoting Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>:

> If you have "u" in your host_notification_options it will tell you when
> hosts are UNREACHABLE (as in, the parent host is down as well as the
> host in question). Using dependencies for this sort of thing is just
> wrong. Make your parent setup work instead.

In hosts setup for notification_options I use d,u,r, and as I said the
if hosts are down, the setup is fine. But if let's say ping reaches critical,
I will get alert for all devices behind the parent. Do you suggest not using
dependencies.cfg at all, and should services not get alerted, if upper
level/parent host service is is critical?

> Incidentally, what version of Nagios are you running?

Nagios version is 1.3.

-Miika