Problems with Distributed Monitoring

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 19:29:29 CET 2006

I'm trying to configure a distributed monitoring setup and I am having
some problems getting results processed by the central server.

I am using:

check_external_commands=1

I have active checks disabled in hosts.cfg and in my host templates.
active_checks_enabled 0

I also have (in the same configuration files) passive_checks_enabled 1

On the distributed server, I'm using:

ochp_command=submit_check_result
ocsp_command=submit_check_result
obsess_over_service=1
obsess_over_hosts=1

In the services templates, I'm using obsess_over_service 1 for all
services, too.

In my commands.cfg I've added:

define command{
        command_name    submit_check_result
        command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/submit_check_result
$HOSTNAME$ '$SERVICEDESC$' $SERVICESTATE$ '$SERVICEOUTPUT$'
        }

define command{
        command_name    submit_host_result
        command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/submit_check_result
$HOSTNAME$ '$SERVICEDESC$' $SERVICESTATE$ '$SERVICEOUTPUT$'
        }

Finnaly, I can run /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/submit_check_result
manually and it replies with:
1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

However I never see anything in /var/log/nagios/nagios.log, even
though I am using  log_passive_checks=1

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  I'm sure it's
something, probably simple, that i've missed...

-Bill