Unable to run make successfully fornagios-plugins-1.4.5

Luc I. Suryo luc at suryo.com
Fri Dec 15 17:33:02 CET 2006

> > Hi: When I run make, I get the following error. I looked through the
> FAQ,
> > couldn't find any pointers. I am compiling this on Solaris 2.9 and
> have
> > make 3.81 and gcc 3.4.6
> > =========================
>
> [chop]
>
> > gcc: unrecognized option `-Xa'
> > gcc: language arch=v8 not recognized
> > gcc: check_mysql.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
> > mv: cannot access .deps/check_mysql-check_mysql.Tpo
> > *** Error code 2
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `check_mysql-check_mysql.o'
>
> Not sure I can help but googling for "gcc: language arch=v8 not
> recognized" shows this to be a pretty common issue when compiling mysql
> apps (DBD::Mysql comes up a lot). Perhaps there'll be some answers
> there. What configure options did you pass? Did you use --with-mysql= to
> give it the path to the mysql_config bin directory? Do you happen to
> have multiple versions of mysql installed? Finally, do you see the same
> error after running a 'make distclean; ./configure...; make' cycle
> again?

check if you have set any of the following enviroment variables
	CC / CFLAGS / CXX / CXXFLAGS / LDFLAGS

the arch=v8 flags is a typical Sun compiler/linker flags to tell the
compiler/linker to compile the source for a Ultra Sparc CPU

you have couple options ;

use studio 11 from Sun (is free)

or

reconfigure with the following setup

	CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O" CXX=g++ CXXFLAGS="-O" LDFLAGS="-s" \
	./configure ....

	now with the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS you might want to add
		-I.... -I... so it finds the include files
	and in the LDFLAFS add
		-R... -R... -L... -L... to find the library during
	link time and executing time

(NB: there is a Solaris 10 package available at ftp.patriots.net, I
think it would be compatible fro Solaris 9)

good luck and hope this might help...

-ls